As part of the classroom team, the speech/language pathologists in The Day School assist students in developing or re-establishing oral and written language. The activities in this area address problems such as language delay and developmental language disorders.
The educational process may involve helping students to:
- develop the ability to understand, recall and use words
- develop the ability to understand and use sentences
- develop the grammatical aspects of language
- develop the ability to understand and generate a series of related sentences (as in writing paragraphs, giving directions, telling stories, making needs and wants known)
- develop the ability to effectively use language as a tool for communication in a variety of educational and family situations such as social conversation, explanations, descriptions of events, classroom interactions, etc.
- develop the ability to use language as a tool for thinking and learning – learning to ask questions and use language to think through problems and develop plans