Our Mission, Vision and Values
The Children's Institute of Pittsburgh is dedicated to improving the quality of life for children, young people and their families by providing a specialized continuum of services that enables them to reach their potential.
The Children's Institute of Pittsburgh will be a nationally and internationally recognized leader in the provision of family-centered care and coordination of services for children and youth with special needs and for any child needing rehabilitation services. The hallmark of The Children’s Institute’s legacy will continue to be an unwavering commitment to these children and their families.
Our Centers of Excellence
As part of Vision 2016, The Children’s Institute has dedicated itself to enhance the following programs as Centers of Excellence: Autism, Brain Injury, Spinal Cord Injury, Prader-Willi syndrome and Family Visitation. This isn’t just a title or an award; it’s a mandate to go further, to offer more, and to excel in everything we do. Our Centers of Excellence are driven by eight exacting criteria:
-Expertise and best practices
-Broad range of services and continuum of care, including community integration
-Results (outcomes, effectiveness, efficiency, patient/family satisfaction)
-External affirmation and recognition
Our trustees, employees and volunteers will embody our values in every interaction with patients, students, clients and their families, each other and all other stakeholders. Our values are:
• Compassion: We provide a loving, caring family-centered environment for children with special needs, their families, and each other. We advocate for children and their families.
• Integrity: We are committed to organizational and financial accountability, transparency, respect for all, and ethical practices.
• Excellence: We will be the best at our work and provide the highest quality family-centered care and services to our children, constantly striving to improve.
• Innovation: We go above and beyond the norm and will be creative in providing services and solving problems.
• Teamwork and Collaboration: We seek to collaborate and partner in all that we do. We are a team where every person is needed to provide the quality care and services for which we are known. We work together and communicate effectively.
• Fun: We will provide a positive and friendly environment.
Our Commitment to Quality
The Children’s Institute is dedicated to promoting the well-being of children, young people and families and to providing services that meet their special needs.
The Hospital is committed to providing high quality, effective medical and therapy services to children. We continually advance our treatment methods — by using new techniques as well as new technology — to result in better therapeutic interventions for children.
The Day School is dedicated to advanced instructional strategies, techniques and materials. We enhance our student’s experiences through a skilled, energized staff, a clean, modern facility, and an involved, supportive and positive school community. We explore new methods and materials, encourage “best practices” in all areas of the school and make certain that our staff has opportunities to maintain and improve their skills.
Project STAR promotes the right of all children to grow up with a loving, permanent family. We are committed to providing high-quality service to children and families, especially those with physical, emotional and intellectual disabilities.